Friday, September 16, 2011

Ghosts On The Underground

A brilliant website titled Top Documentary Films was recently brought to my attention by a fellow Internet junkie. The site is a database of documentaries that have been reviewed and categorized into various sub-headings and new docs are posted daily.

Since my discovery of this site, I have become semi-obsessed with consuming as many documentaries as possible in my free time. One that I would like to share and encourage all to watch is Ghosts On The Underground , a 50-some odd minute portrayal of spirits in the London tube system.

During my extended stay in London last summer, I spent a great deal of time riding the tube, randomly connecting at a hub station only to be dropped-off in a section of the city I had never been before. The documentary describes how the London tube system is the oldest functional set of tunnels in the world and that its construction beneath the streets of the capital unearthed many a mass burial ground and cemetery.

The brilliantly-produced documentary interviews many drivers and track supervisors, as well as tube riders who have seen ghosts whilst riding the trains. To temper the mass hysteria surrounding the witnessing of ghosts, the narrator introduces a scientist of sorts who measures the tubes for various low pitch sounds that can lead a person towards a sense of anxiety (i.e. a cold sensation where the hair stands-up on the back of your neck). Even he cannot deny the sense of somebody watching him while taking readings throughout the underground tunnels.

The documentary is also able to partially substantiate many of the claims by indicating deaths or burials that occurred in the area and their subsequent relation to sightings. I'm not one to become enveloped in urban myths or ghost stories, but the eerily accurate presentations made in this documentary had me asking myself questions I typically would not waste a second to consider.

Should you have 50 minutes to spare, I suggest checking out this documentary. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, it really is a gem of the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment