Sunday, June 19, 2011

Book Of The Week: Father's Day Edition - Joy In Mudville

My dad doesn't care much for Father's Day. To him, it's just another day, but for me it has become a day to reflect on just how blessed I am to have a father as wonderful and as loving as my own.

Without getting into too much detail in fears of divulging family secrets; my dad wasn't required to be the amazing father he is to me, but he was, and to this day, he is still the person I call when faced with both obstacles in life and the joys of accomplishments.

Today presents a perfect opportunity to share with you what my father shared with me; the love of reading and a deep understanding of baseball literature. Atop the list of books my father has either given me or loaned permanently never to be returned is Joy In Mudville: The Big Book of Baseball Humour.



The collection of essays, drawings and articles features many of the sport's heavy hitters, including Ring and John Lardner, Roger Angell and Garrison Keillor. There are contributions from ex-players (Yogi Berra), cartoonists (Charles Schulz and Bill Watterson) and that special brand of sports writer that waxes nostalgic while making many a reader cringe (Mitch Albom.)

An excerpt from the book's sleeve says it best; "Who's funnier? Casey Stengel or Yogi Berra? Ring Lardner or John Lardner? Alibi Ike or Babe Herman? Garrison Keillor or Russell Baker? The Dodgers or The Mets? Calvin Trillin or Marv Throneberry? They're all here, and so are such literary sluggers as Philip Roth, Robert Coover or George Plimpton; such poets of Broadway as Damon Runyon and Jimmy Breslin; such playwrights as Herb Gardner and Neil SImon; such sports columnists as Mitch ALbom, Ira Berkow, Mike Downey and Tony Kornheiser."

If you love baseball, or any of the aforementioned writers and artists, this is a must-read collection.

Every time I pick-it up for a read, it reminds me of playing catch with my father in the backyard, Jays game blaring on the radio with me struggling with my two-seamer, all ears, absorbing all of the knowledge my father has to bestow.

Call your dad, or even better yet, find the man and give him a giant hug will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment