Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Death of the English Language: Gender Trolls

Let me preface today's entry by saying I'm bitter, unemployed and it just rained for the duration of my lunchtime barbecue party of one, only to stop the moment I came indoors. Such is my life, and without it, I probably wouldn't have any luck at all.

*Also, off-topic but really, perpetually on; for those who like to slip a little 'entire' before your 'durations' because you fancy upping the word count, think again, duration implies an entirety, requiring no quantification at all.

Onward with the nitpicking; today have I got a treat for y'all(s).

"Because of his gender, Lawrence Taylor had trouble getting into the girls locker room at St. Peter's School for Young Girls in Camden, New Jersey."

Ripped from the headlines, like an episode of Law & Order: Who The Fuck Cares Unit, is this doozy of a quote. (I lied; that quote is fabricated - also, I didn't lose my virginity when I was 13. I was 8.)

The word gender, in this case qualifies the subject, Mr. Taylor, and is substituted for sex (Haha yes please, I'll have two.)

Gender was originally employed as a grammatical term, until the 19th century when it became a euphemism for those too conservative to echo the word sex. While the taboo surrounding the word sex has diminished, gender is still the preferred word when referring to a person's sex.

I say fuck off to all these modern interpretations and applications of words. Can we not at least make the most minute of efforts towards this cause or do I have to have buttons made?

Be off with yourselves. Tell the woman you love that you barely tolerate her, grab a twelve of something cheap and get ready for the NBA Draft. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, it's because the Raptors drafted another white guy and I've killed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment