Friday, November 12, 2010

Advice For Men: 2) Headphone Thoughts

My fellow men, be weary of what crosses your mind while wearing headphones in public, because you'll never know who's listening.

And no, I'm not talking about other people hearing your music and you being embarrassed by the shuffling of Cam'ron, Sigur Ros, Spragga Benz and Randy Newman in succession, there's something else which has the potential to be far more embarrassing.

The reason I mention this is because I'm constantly listening to music or podcasts while riding public transportation and sometimes I will say something under my breath that people actually hear.

Yesterday I was standing on a semi-crowded eastbound train listening to a little NBA Today with Ryen Russillo when a young lady stood-up in anticipation of her stop and waited by the door not a foot from me. She stood before me close enough that the proximity, in combination with the fact that she was gorgeous and fit and my junk was approximately 9 inches from her shapely ass proved to be special enough that I fought the urge to smile. I recall saying something under my breath along the lines of "damn that's a fit ass."

What I assumed was an inaudible thought was apparently heard by at least two ladies on the train. One was the delightful young lady who turned to face me while exiting the train and looked at me with a non-expression that equates to her actually not being offended, rather potentially flattered by the comment.

The other privileged passenger was an older lady likely in her mid 60's that sat directly next to where I was standing. Her opinion of the remark was clear, as for the remaining 2 stops of my ride, she glared at me with a look of sheer disgust. I can understand her frustration.

To be consistent with this 'Advice For Men' bit, it is integral that we learn from our errors to become better men. All I can hope for is that in some way, I am able to help in the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment