Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ruminations 17.0

Hey kids,

Don't have a whole heck of a lot to say today. It's 10:10pm here in the big city and it has just now began to snow. Seriously - it's starting to snow.

Needless to say, this wasn't on today's forecast. Must be that bloody unpredictable lake effect again. For chrissakes, I skated to Shoppers today to grab some Q-Tips and a pack of Zags with a seasonal spring wind at my back. A few hours later, Mother Nature has reared her menopausal spotted head in this direction and it's covering the grass I raked just hours ago with a light blanket of fresh snow. Fuck.

Anyways...

Recall a little while back I was penning a short story about time travel for the Star's fiction competition. Well, I hit an obstacle or few and instead decided to submit a story about an African-American playing professional basketball in French and his slow acclimatization to the better way.

Needless to say, it was pretty shit and will never be published on this very site.

Regardless, I did a fair bit of research on a specific understanding (see variation) of time travel for the story, and have continued delving deeper into these concepts when the time permits. Without a grasp of either science or math, I find myself reading and re-reading the same articles ad nauseum.

As a result I have just tonight started reading H.G Wells' Time Machine again, for the first time since I was around 13.

When I'm done I plan on doing a little something something on the man that is remembered for 4 works of science fiction, and as remembered, I mean widely criticized, despite writing 4 million words of fiction and 8 million words of journalism throughout his career.

His work is now considered to be novice and ideologically driven, but take my word for it, I'm a chapter and a half in a fuck is this way more exciting than the first time I read it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you at work looking to kill a few hours, somebody has gratefully organized a Wikipedia page detailing some of the more bizarre means of dying.

It's a hoot.

Wikipedia Bizarre Death Registry

Check-out the one from 1993 of the Toronto Lawyer and his run-in at the Toronto Dominion Centre.

Thanks for reading - stay fit and have fun - Bodybreak!

No comments:

Post a Comment