Monday, January 10, 2011

Ruminations 10.0: The Year In My iPod.

Missed-out on many of the 'End of the Year' lists that many sites execute quite well. Despite the fact we don't share a similar taste in music, my brother's blog IMusicalGenius (see right) does a more than adequate job of such things, and he inquired recently if I had put together a list. Unlike previous years, I haven't had my thumb on the pulse of the new music scene. Perhaps I'm getting old, or perhaps I have found more productive means of occupying my time, but I am not as hip as I was, or as I may have thought.

Anyways, instead of compiling a list of my favorite songs of the year, I will revert to my iTunes to find which songs I listened to the most.

I must admit, despite my intentions to often avoid what is the sound of the moment, dubstep took my iPod hostage this year and is still my go-to genre. I have always enjoyed drum n' bass music, especially the raw, reggae MC inspired English sound. Dubstep has managed to take the unrelenting bass of dnb and infuse some melody. The following song was the most played song on my iPod this year, and frankly, I'm cautious to admit just how many times I listened to it.

This dubstep re-mix is by Welsh DJ High Contrast, who like English DJ tandem Chase & Status, can pretty much take any song and make it dubstep magic. Kudos to Skream a genius remix of this tune, but in the end, the High Contrast version reigns supreme. Sounds better very loud.

So, without further ado, here's my favorite/most-played song of 2010, which narrowly beat-out the song featured just below it. Also listed are the other songs that helped me burn through 5 pairs of shitty headphones this year.

La Roux - In For The Kill (High Contrast Remix)


Adele - Hometown Glory (High Contrast Remix)

Plab B - End Credits (Chase & Status Remix)


Chase & Status - Eastern Jam


Brookes Brothers - Tear You Down


Rihanna feat. Drake _ What's My Name (Blackmill Remix)


Axwell - I Found You (High Contrast Remix)


High Contrast - If We Ever


Danny Byrd feat. The Brookes Brothers - Gold Rush

1 comment: