Sunday, January 2, 2011

Things Done Changed: People Don't Kick No More

Hey boys and girls, please excuse that lack of posts recently - what with the holidays, my hours at work and the damn Penske file - needless to say, I've been a busy boy.

The excessive holiday reruns and marathons of some of my favorite action films had me thinking a fair deal about the changing nature of the genre. Sure, the newfound means of digitally-assisted explosions and graphic violence is amazing, but whatever happened to hand-to-hand combat between two men?

Gone are the days of two men locking horns in a hard-fought battle to the death using not only their fists, but also their feet.

I recall a bit of a scrap I found myself in years ago, amidst the youthful ignorance and naivety of high school. This one fella thought I had forcefully inserted my reproductive organ in his delighful little elf of a girlfriend. He was wrong and I was wrongfully accused. Little did he know, but a year later I would end-up doing as he suspected, and it was pretty fucking good. Nonetheless, a fight ensued with a slew of poorly-thrown punches, I was doing well, until, without nary a notice, he kicked me directly in the aforementioned reproductive area and I fell to the ground only to be kicked a few more times. Brusises and scars dissipate for the most part, the joy of slaying his young girlfriend will last forever.

People don't kick no more. Correction, people in films do not kick anymore. Gone are the days of two men fighting for what they believe in, curiously displaying an accumen for karate with a bevy of kicks, including my all-time fave, the spin kick.

Without drawing this thing out too much, primarily because I have other things to do, I thought I'd post a few scenes from some noteworthy films to identify the passing of an era.

The first clip is quite poignant, the last two not so much - I just wanted to make sure everybody who reads this site had seen each at least once. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment