Monday, January 10, 2011

Things Need To Change: Toronto

Despite all the negative things I had to say about my city voting for a misogynist, wife-beating, drunk driving bigot as Mayor, it seems he has recently either done or said two things that give me reason to be hopeful.

First, he appointed National Ballet of Canada head Jeff Melanson as his arts consultant, which was a surprising move considering I assumed he thought rhe arts consisted of UFC and dwarf-tossing. Secondly, he shared the notion that curbed bike lanes could find themselves on Toronto's streets in the near future.

While I was in France, renting bikes from whichever city I was in, I noted that many towns used said curbed bike lanes as a means of separating the automobiles from the cyclists. In Paris, curbed bike lanes are as wide as a typical lane and are also used for buses. Having a lane that houses both bicycles and transit is a brilliant move to both stem the tide that traffic and congestion produce in this city and increase the safety of cyclists. This will also encourage more people to take their bikes to work who may have been threatened by the perilous approach many of the city's drivers take towards cyclist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Today, my mood continues to vacillate between good and evil, reminding me of some people I've known and their penchant for bipolarity, whether clinical or simply self-prescribed. Lithium is a popular drug for the treatment of bipolarity, which naturally made me think of this song, specifically the 1992 performance at the Reading Festival in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment