Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ruminations 4.0

An old girlfriend from college once used the term doorchfall to refer to me. She was a smart little whip of a woman, and I fancied her a great deal. She knew me quite well, and the word, which is Dutch, was an adequate assessment of the man I used to be.

Doorchfall: Of Dutch origin, referring to a person who has an affinity for being deceitful

In my high school years and early twenties, I would lie for my own benefit and self-preservation. Not anything major, that would cause anybody grief or tears, but just small lies that I mistakingly thought at the time were for my goodwill. Shortly thereafter, the relationship I had with this young woman crumbled, and I began to realize the importance of being honest. For all the other shortcomings in my life, I strived to be honest and to lie no more.

All people have flaws. Some are more, for a lack of a better word, major than others. While I try my mightiest to be above all honest with everyone in my life, I realize at the same time that others have the same faults I once had, and how difficult it was for me to be an honest person.

The point I am trying to make is that nobody is perfect. Even in love, people have faults and make errors, not because they want to hurt the other person, but because the longer we exercise our demons and continue erring, the easier it becomes, and inherently the less ethically damaging it feels.

If a loved one hurts you, take a moment to think and try your best not to take it personal, because there is no benefit to blaming yourself. Never forget that people have faults and that the most ethical of people err. Forgiveness will set you free my friends.


"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong"

- Mahatma Gandhi


No comments:

Post a Comment